Campagnolo chain set question...??

gregbalden

• Life Members
43 minutes ago, gregbalden said:

On my good bike, i have a compact chainset. However, I am looking to get a double (52 or 53/39). 

The question is can I just buy new chairing, or are the arms just too small? 

Greg, compact 50/34 chain rings have 110BCD, were as Standard 53/39 or Pro Compact 52/36 have 130BCD, that is the diameter numbers of the crank arms.

I assume you have the old style Campagnolo (as George said) 5 as oppose to the new 4 arms? If so, then you're kind of snookered :-(

You need to get a new complete chainset if you want to go bigger based on your present predicament!

• Life Members

Greg, you should be able to pick up a "standard" chain-set off eBay fairly easy & they tend to be quite cheap too as the norm nowadays is compact!

If you're going Campagnolo, then try to avoid the dreaded older "Power Torque" (the older version) as it's PITA (and need really special tools) to take-off & install. The PT tend to be on older Veloce, Athena & I think Centaurs version ....... anything Chorus or above will defy. be Ultra Torque!

"Ultra Torque" is what you want, unless you're going for the New 4 arm "Power Torque" on current Potenza & Centaur chain-sets which is an updated design that is self extracting hence a lot easier to take off when need be!

Confusing isn't it? That's the joys of owning Campag :-)

If you need any help, just geez a bell or PM!

Good luck

• 2023 Subscriptions

You can pick up some decent chorus chain sets on eBay , I have potenza , chorus and super record and they are all 4 arm and work perfectly so would look at Potenza remember you may need new outboard cups as well