Which Garmin would you recommend?

martin

• Life Members

Martin, I have (along with quite a few Wheelers) the Garmin Edge 520, it's great & has the option to connect to power meter & cadence (not that I use it).

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-technology/cycle-computers-gps/garmin-edge-520-cycle-computer

10% discount with BC member at Halfords??

Or the new Edge 130, which is cheaper!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/garmin-edge-130-gps-cycling-computer-2018/rp-prod171387

You could maybe consider the Edge 25, but the screen is small (not ideal for us auld ones) & the display fields are not customisable!

https://www.halfords.com/technology/wearable-technology/cycling-computers-gps/garmin-edge-25-gps-cycling-computer

Happy Shopping :-)

• Committee

520 great but I have just ordered a Wahoo and will report back. They have similar functionality inc Bluetooth phone text etc which sounds insane on a bike  but is actually very useful.

Whatever you get it is worth having automatic Bluetooth ride uploads at the end of a ride. Plugging in to upload is a pain.

My Garmin automatically uploads rides about 80% of the time but when it doesn't it is a nuisance to plug in and download. So 1990's. I know it is  a first world problem but very irritating.  Hoping the Wahoo is more reliable and seems a bit more modern.

I had the 520 - sold it and got the Bolt.

The bolt is streets ahead in functionality for me.  The ability to set up screens from the phone app and the automatic updates via bluetooth are seamless (although I sometimes get duplicate workouts to training peaks)

The screen is not colour but to be honest I find that better and easier to see - battery life is better as a result.

Also - as anyone who has accidentally deleted a ride instead of saving it on a Garmin unit can will know, it can be quite awkward. Its practically impossible to do it with a wahoo #strava4life

• 2023 Subscriptions

Consider something with a big, easy to read screen. Saves you peering at, trying to work out if that's a 5, a 6 or an 8. You can normally tell which side of the decimal point it's on....

• 2023 Subscriptions
2 hours ago, AlanT said:

Consider something with a big, easy to read screen. Saves you peering at, trying to work out if that's a 5, a 6 or an 8. You can normally tell which side of the decimal point it's on....

Tbh that's probably the most important criteria for me. Don't want to be fumbling in my jersey pocket for my specs all the time.

All good advice, thanks chaps.

Alan McLean, I could always test your new wahoo for you when I go on holiday if you like?

• 2023 Subscriptions
10 hours ago, Alan McLean said:

On the wife's bike already. Easy to set up. Less fiddly and more user friendly than the 520. It has just texted me automatically to say it needs charged. Quite cool.

I put mine on the wife’s bike.

It text me to tell me “dinner is in the dog. Sleep in the spare room tonight”

• 3 weeks later...

Cheapest one you can buy if you only want speed and distance. I've had a 200 for yonks  now. Was £50 at Aldis. Dont need anything more complicated. Tells me how fast  I'm going and how long I've been pedalling. Can upload to Strava if i can be bothered.