*Alex Baird* - Sad News

GlenIrving

A very sad day. Such shocking news. Alex was a huge character on and off the bike, as many on here have already mentioned and to which the photos testify.

2 abiding memories of the man  for me are trying to follow his line off some of the descents on La Sufrida while we made out way around the second part of the course,  and a fine evening spent in his company, with our respective partners, working our way through the gin list in the Alston Bar.  

You will be sadly missed big fella.  Thoughts are with your family.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Terribly sad news. As above, I knew Alex only on the bike, and I recall his descending skills to be top knotch. Riding down somewhere near Lennoxtown wondering, how is this new guy descending so well?!.   Biker!  That's how. Rest in peace!!  

Hi All,

Was round seeing Anne, she is bearing up amazing well. The funeral is likely to be Friday morning 10:30 at clydebank crematorium (possibly Tuesday but doubtful) she will confirm exact details (times/ location) once they have confirmed on Monday then onto Amaretto (availability dependant) afterwords, she was wondering about numbers so if you could maybe give me an indication how many are likely to attend as she wasn't sure if amaretto would be big enough and I can feed back. She was saying how she likes to see the pictures of Alex that she hadn't seen before etc. I had printed of the messages and photographs from the posts as thought it would be good for her to read the stories and see the photographs to see how much he was loved within the group.

I was thinking it would be nice to put together some sort of photo book to give her and I am happy to organise if everyone ok with that. If anyone would like to email me a photograph/s and a caption about the photograph/ photographs? my email is "[email protected]" - Let me know your thoughts on this if you think is a good idea?

• Members

Hi Glen I'll try to make the funeral but if not I'll come to Amaretto.

Really sad news and will miss the big man. A true gent and great memory of all riding over the finish line together on the tour of Flanders (Alex Idea) and kind of sums up what he was all about. RIP big man will really miss you .

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Glen

thank you so much for organising this. I’ve emailed a few photos over. Arran and Ayrshire Alps 2016. I’m afraid I will not be back next week for funeral but will be raising a glass and having a rather large breakfast in honour. 

Andy

• 2023 Subscriptions

Terribly sad news. Any time I met Alex he was always kind and smiling, and I don't think I had a single conversation with him during which he didn't make me laugh. He was a pleasure to be around. Rest in peace friend, may your kindness inspire kindness in others and your smile always be remembered. Could you pass my condolences on to Alex's family Glen? I plan to attend the crematorium, possibly Amaretto. 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Photo 1 Top of the rest 

Photo 2 Ride London 

Photo 3 Bar after the pro race LBL

Photo 4 Dearest hotel ever , think a few of the boys didn’t appreciate Alex’s hotel tastes , mind you eggs benedict and smoked salmon as opposed to black pudding and beans should have been a clue .