*Alex Baird* - Sad News

GlenIrving

• 2023 Subscriptions

Such sad news. Thoughts go out to his family.

He joined the club shortly after me and according to my 'strava roster' ive ridden with him more than anyone else in the club in the years since. I never really knew him off the bike but despite that you get to know someone pretty well with all the hours in their company and he was a great guy and i'll sure miss him in the years to come :(

• 2023 Subscriptions

I’m so very sorry to read this news. Like others I only knew Alex on the bike. He was a massive character solid to the core, a strong rider, and always good humoured and could fairly pack away a couple of big breakfasts too! I’ve very much missed his company on the bike and will continue to. 

Absolutely devastating news! Alex  had a great sense of humour and was a pleasure to ride with.

I remember in a cafe in Arran once, the waitress said that the gas was off so could not cook 12 sweaty cyclists a breakfast, when the table next to us who arrived 15 minutes after us got served two full frys I remember Alex heading into the kitchen to speak to the chef! 12 hot rolls soon appeared!

He is going to be deeply missed, really sad news!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Devastating news, Alex really was some character, not only was he a mean cyclist, but he didn’t hold back off the bike either, lived life to the full, great memories of our trip to Majorca last year, he was always last to bed and first on th bike in the morning .. RIP Alex ... 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Very, very sad news. Alex was a big character, a big personality, and a really really strong rider. He will be missed. My thoughts are with his family.

Absolutely gutted to hear the news this morning.  Was literally talking to Alex  last night about a meet in largs for a coffee, us on the bike and him on his moter bike. He opted for the car however, but was in good spirits and keen to meet up, which make this news all the harder to take in. A great guy always up for a hard session either on the bike or in the pub, he will be sorely missed. 

• 2024 Subscriptions

Lost for words. We all knew Alex was seriously ill but I’d hoped to see him in the cafe, or down the pub.

Over the last few years, like many of the Wheelers, I’ve ridden thousands of miles with Alex, at home and abroad. I’ve  shared rooms with him and enjoyed his company over a glass or two of whatever the local tipple happened to be.  He was a true gent: funny, determined, optimistic and generous. He will be sorely missed.

Goodbye Alex, it was a privilege to have met you.

29D2C4C5-5190-4F57-BE94-BCC003FA2767.jpeg

• 2023 Subscriptions

News like this puts many of our day to day gripes & moans in perspective.

Like many, I mainly knew Alex through the bike but also thoroughly enjoyed his company on a few nights out. He was as good company in the bar as he was a powerhouse on the bike.

A persons character comes through in adversity and when I spoke to him shortly after his diagnosis Alex displayed true dignity and fearlessness.

I’ll truly miss him & my heart goes out to his family.

RIP big man.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Very very sad.  There isn't much more I can say that hasn't been said already.  Life really sucks at times when someone so young sadly passes and leaves a young family.  However, Alex really was a solid friend, someone you  depend on to really stick the boot in, someone that would take great risks on the descents.......... remembering the most recent visit into the bushes on the Loch Tom Rd descent and someone who  knew how to party off the bike.

The big chap will be sadly missed by all,  such was his character

IMG_3488.JPG

IMG_4616.JPG

IMG_3440.JPG

• 2023 Subscriptions

One of the finest moments. The day Darryl went down on Arran (sorry D). Alex and I encountered a brand new breed to us. Cockerpoos! Alex went out and got one the very next day. For anyone who follows his Instagram see many pics of Ziggy. Anyway my point is Alex didn’t feck about. He went out there and grabbed life by the baws. May he long be an example to us all!

so so sad tonight

642E4F70-3BD1-4427-8121-2CDD479A48C6.jpeg