Take care of each other!

5 hours ago, Mark O said:

Galeb, you mentioned looking over your shoulder.  One shouldn't need to look behind. It's the rider behind's responsibility to ensure he is not half wheeling you (the rider in front), allowing to change your line when required without a touch of wheels. You can't see your rear wheel but he can, and should position himself accordingly adjusting his line to yours. Harks to the point about bunch skills. The same rider behind you shouldn't be coming through until its his turn. If he's doing it right then no need to look behind.

Mark I was more talking of coming through from behind as last rider. Because of group being large with riders having varried fitness splits tend to happen in the fast lane and with some riders sitting in you don't actually know when it's your turn to come through without having to check your shoulder frequantly.  Ideally you would shout out 'last' for the last rider in the slow lane when you are the last rider coming through to fast lane. But with not knowing who will be getting back onto the chain from riders that are sitting in you can't really do that.  

APR good idea...but think it might be a bit difficult at the start to split into groups relative to fitness. 6.30 comes and people want to set off...

Generally as some have already said, up to the Clune seems to be ok, so I think Billy's suggestion might work best. One group to Clune and then after that split into two groups with the faster one going first. 

• 2023 Subscriptions

The group has become too large. The wait at the top of the Clune too long. Be best if the Renfrew Bunch restarted its Thursday edition. I'd suggest we get the Glasgow Couriers and our members who race to do the Thursday Renfrew Bunch. The JWCC Thursday chain gang was great when you were tapering for a weekend event and wanted a fun relaxed ride. It's still sociable but now with the increased numbers and the increased potholes its getting too dangerous. Alternative would be to set off in 2 groups but who'd be assertive enough to organise that? If only Donald Trump cycled. 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Firstly I would like to congratulate Iain McTavish for making the chain gang such a popular event. The introduction of points has made it even more fun. 

We just need to remind ourselves that fast bunch riding can be dangerous. We now have quite a few new members who bring fantastic fitness & enthusiasm to the bunch but have not had a lot of experience of racing or big bunch riding. We also have members who perhaps need a wee refresher. I suggest that the likes of Paul McDonald jann Darryl remind us all at the start of what is expected. A bit like the chat u get from a Commissaire before a race.

I like the present format as i am riding my bike with friends. I like it when Paul Leavy shouts at me to get over Bishie hill. Ilike the fact the bunch waits for us at top of Clune. I like it that Paul McDonald went back to check we were all there( sorry Alan T u were just a bit late last thurs) I like the buzz of hanging on to end. I like it when new members tell me how much they enjoyed The Chain Gang and I like to hear Stevie say he has gone from being dropped last season to being a racer this season. We actually may have something that provides fun and is a stepping stone for those who aspire to race.

I did not see the manoeuvre that put Stevie in danger but whoever it was needs to be told. When I was out with Renfrew bunch it was common to hear experienced riders give an earful to any one who rode erratically.

• 2023 Subscriptions
9 hours ago, charlie p said:

Firstly I would like to congratulate Iain McTavish for making the chain gang such a popular event. The introduction of points has made it even more fun. 

We just need to remind ourselves that fast bunch riding can be dangerous. We now have quite a few new members who bring fantastic fitness & enthusiasm to the bunch but have not had a lot of experience of racing or big bunch riding. We also have members who perhaps need a wee refresher. I suggest that the likes of Paul McDonald jann Darryl remind us all at the start of what is expected. A bit like the chat u get from a Commissaire before a race.

I like the present format as i am riding my bike with friends. I like it when Paul Leavy shouts at me to get over Bishie hill. Ilike the fact the bunch waits for us at top of Clune. I like it that Paul McDonald went back to check we were all there( sorry Alan T u were just a bit late last thurs) I like the buzz of hanging on to end. I like it when new members tell me how much they enjoyed The Chain Gang and I like to hear Stevie say he has gone from being dropped last season to being a racer this season. We actually may have something that provides fun and is a stepping stone for those who aspire to race.

I did not see the manoeuvre that put Stevie in danger but whoever it was needs to be told. When I was out with Renfrew bunch it was common to hear experienced riders give an earful to any one who rode erratically.

Far too positive.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a note...

Wasn't out today with the JWCC chain-gang but did bump into bunch just before Houston roundabout - you guys looked tidy. I wasn't directly behind you and there was a car in front of me which seemed to be impatient, close to bunch and trying to overtake. Just after Houston roundabout the car decided to overtake, at that point speed was around 30mph so the car had to go over speed limit to overtake a long stretch of bicycles and it looked like it had to cut it close going back to lane to avoid another car coming in the other direction. Not defending driver but the risk could have possibly been reduced if it was a smaller bunch? So I'm directly behind the bunch now and did not feel comfertable overtaking until we reached the long stretch of houston road. So to safely overtake you could be stuck behind bunch for a bit. Some would be ok with this but you would definitely get impatient drivers that would take risks just to save a few seconds. We had a similar encounter last week when I was out before bishy lights.

I think splitting into groups of max 10 may be a good idea...

• 2023 Subscriptions
20 minutes ago, Galeb said:

Just a note...

Wasn't out today with the JWCC chain-gang but did bump into bunch just before Houston roundabout - you guys looked tidy. I wasn't directly behind you and there was a car in front of me which seemed to be impatient, close to bunch and trying to overtake. Just after Houston roundabout the car decided to overtake, at that point speed was around 30mph so the car had to go over speed limit to overtake a long stretch of bicycles and it looked like it had to cut it close going back to lane to avoid another car coming in the other direction. Not defending driver but the risk could have possibly been reduced if it was a smaller bunch? So I'm directly behind the bunch now and did not feel comfertable overtaking until we reached the long stretch of houston road. So to safely overtake you could be stuck behind bunch for a bit. Some would be ok with this but you would definitely get impatient drivers that would take risks just to save a few seconds. We had a similar encounter last week when I was out before bishy lights.

I think splitting into groups of max 10 may be a good idea...

Fair point - although i think it would be spread out more than usual for this bit because of the mechanical which caused a split. Probably not helped with the intermediate sprint too, some go for it whereas some dont which mean the bunch spreads out too....probably better to scrap that altogether (could make the clune and finish the top 4 riders that count instead).

• 2023 Subscriptions

Yes scrap the only part I get points at, no seriously think it should be scrapped, that might help, but it was another big group , think if the car didn’t pull out in Kilmacolm it would have been smaller by the time we got to the gt also we all took it easy round the roundabout 

• 2024 Subscriptions

Just out of interest, how many were out? If this bunch is getting too big, then there is an alternative group which is, of course, the Renfrew Bunch. This group was started as an alternative to the Renfrew. It now seems as though the JWCC Thursday bunch has become the Renfrew 2.0. This could easily be sorted by the faster riders/racers going out with the later bogs bunch.  

Input from a newbie, have been enjoying the chaingang in the current format and feel it is great for bringing you on, I feel it’s really helping me along both with advice from all the other riders and fitness etc which in turn helps me in the bunch. The neutralisation zones are a welcome addition as surfaces are terrible and seem to be workng well and give me a moment to catch my breath. Granted there has been a few incidents  with drivers however I feel we would still have that issue if not more in 2 or 3 groups. The quick briefing pre start worked well a few weeks ago, maybe having each week might be an idea to see if there are any concerns about that evening ie, the current weather conditions may suggest quick regroup after certain areas where coming off is highly likely.  Also if anyone has any input of current spills etc on the route

Safety in numbers! There are a lot of people out there who are exceptionally bad drivers and others  who simply detest cyclists.

loving the chaingang! However love when it’s finished!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Lots of really good information and replies...

But Ian said more or less all that needed to be said in the post title "Take care of each other!"

I honestly don't see any issue, last night was a prime example of bad Driving and excellent Cycling(in the fact we all stayed upright).  I have had more close calls cycling on my own than in group rides, maybe I should pull over and let the cars go by? :grin: 

"Individuals take part in any group rides at their own risk. Johnstone Wheelers and its club members accept no responsibility for the safety of anyone participating in group rides, and no liability in the event of an accident."  8-)