CTT National 25, 27th May

AlanT

• 1 month later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Off at number 63. 

They've moved the start/finish, about 200m along, finishing under the railway bridge. I'm fairly certain that's not a good thing, although it does get finishers out of the way.

On 20/05/2018 at 9:50 PM, AlanT said:

Off at number 63. 

They've moved the start/finish, about 200m along, finishing under the railway bridge. I'm fairly certain that's not a good thing, although it does get finishers out of the way.

Alan,

if it’s the Westferry course then the revision is to assist the timekeepers as  it’s difficult on the existing course to determine which riders are finishing and which are coming through for the first time

Kenny

• 2023 Subscriptions

I thought it might have been to improve safety by getting finishers off the course to avoid those still on the first lap. It will make it a much harder finish.

4 hours ago, Moi said:

Why harder , down the ramp round the roundabout then 20m up the road , your not going up Bishopton hill 

Because it’s starting lower down the hill and you have to negotiate the roundabout for a second time before the slight rise to the bridge? Marginal, but harder :-)

3 minutes ago, Bashed Up Bison said:

Are you not also going to be hammering up to the roundabout with the prospect of oncoming traffic wiping you out?

Then taking the roundabout at full speed.

Potential for disaster.

George,

The roundabout is arguably the one blind spot (at speed) on the whole course, and although there should be at least one Marshall at the bottom of the slip road, it is the rider’s responsibility to slow down and check the junction before proceeding onto the junction.

The revised course was proposed to me about a year ago, with the explanation of ease of finishing rider identification for the timekeepers (and also shelter) but I decided to keep the Sam a Dooley on  the traditional finish as the BC risk assessment had been written, the course measured and it was what I felt comfortable with. I’m sure the revised finish will have been fully assessed by those using it as well

Kenny

• 2023 Subscriptions

Kenny,

Not disputing it being easier for timekeepers & more sheltered for them. I’m also not disputing that it’s the riders responsibility to ride safely, however, if someone is on for a good time or PB they are going to hammer it into the roundabout.

My face is testament to the fact that some riders, in the heat of the moment, put (a wee bit) more speed over safety.

7 hours ago, Bashed Up Bison said:

Kenny,

Not disputing it being easier for timekeepers & more sheltered for them. I’m also not disputing that it’s the riders responsibility to ride safely, however, if someone is on for a good time or PB they are going to hammer it into the roundabout.

My face is testament to the fact that some riders, in the heat of the moment, put (a wee bit) more speed over safety.

I fully agree with you

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well what can one say , don’t like the new end to the course, but otherwise not that much different

Today the easterly wind made for a fast ride out, I still can’t get round the dead turn we’ll need to practice the way back was hard but not that bad , thought I was going well cam round Newark RB and was jus about to catch my minute man , when I heard something fall from my bike thought it was my water bottle so carried on glanced down at my Garmin only to notice it wasn’t there , so stopped and waddled back to the roundabout and managed to save the Garmin don’t think the guy in the blue BMW expected to see me standing in the middle of the rb got back on and finished 1 minute and 18 seconds over the hour, recon I lost about 2 minutes with stopping and then going again but I never do well early in the season 

• 2023 Subscriptions

Unlucky with the garmin, Billy.

I was much happier with today’s performance against a fortnight ago. Easy out leg, 28mph @ 150W, but toiling a little coming back. 

The finish was every bit as horrible as I expected. 150m of the worst surface on the course, round the roundabout and try and find a fast line up to the bridge, and the line is further away than you think.

With a new start/finish line, can I claim a course PB?

Getting there slowly, I just need to do some training.

• 2023 Subscriptions
16 minutes ago, Bashed Up Bison said:

Billy dips into his suitcase of excuses & pulls out a belter.

Jackanory meets Tales Of The Unexpected....

Be fair, it's better than being abducted by aliens that performed horrific experiments before releasing back into the world. 

With almost no gap in continuity. :o

• 2023 Subscriptions
3 minutes ago, Moi said:

It’s worse it actually happened lost about 90 seconds to 2 minutes but saved £500

Billy, you are a friend and I respect you but I smell sh*te on this one.

In the interest of transparency we will have to see your Velon data and/or power file.

• 2023 Subscriptions
1 hour ago, Moi said:

George think you will find the Garmin timer started before I started the race however it was still quicker than you think that’s 4-0 so far 

You must have started it  4 minutes before the off to get the time you claim you would have.

4-0? Dream on. In fact, if you even dream of beating me you better wake up & apologise.