Commuting

Jannza

• 2023 Subscriptions

Jan,  how far and what kind of terrain for your commute ? I started using panniers for my commute to Glasgow a few years back, but much prefer a backpack now, all depends on how much gear you need to carry .. I’m only carrying , shirt, trousers and underwear, so pretty light, shoes, toiletries and towel in locker at work 

• 2023 Subscriptions

I got a bike just for commuting on last year and I had a few must haves:

Disk brakes save wear and tear on over rim brakes and are more tolerant of bashed wheels.

Robust tyres with a reflective band, currently using 32s, not yet felt the need for slime filled tubes or additional protective inserts.  The solid tyres have caught my eye too, maybe one day.

Cheap groupset as I do not want to be too precious about wear and tear, Claris does all I need. 50/34 and a 12-25 is ideal for me.

Fit mudguards year round.

A nice colour, for admiring - very important.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Like Gerard, I would say if its just for commuting, then nothing expensive, but disc brakes would be ideal to save your wheels if you heading down the Clune on a daily basis... maybe give Decathlon a try, seem to get more for your money in the less than £500 bracket, and good solid reviews..

• 2023 Subscriptions

It all comes down to personal preference and budget. Decathlon sounds like a good shout, but if you're having to add a rack and panniers to that it soon mounts up. I'm not keen on rucksacks as they make your back sweatier and it's something else to break you if (when) you fall off. On the other hand panniers can put the balance of the bike off.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Definitely mudguards. A rack and a rack bag are more comfortable than a backpack - no need for panniers unless you want to do your shopping on the way home. I had 32 sets of traffic lights on my commute into Glasgow - wish they had disc brakes available for road bikes back then, rims took a pasting. A good solid lock, preferably with a chain or cable to go through the front wheel as well, is a must unless you've got a secure lockup inside the building. Good tyres too - I used Conti GP 4 Season (and still do). Nothing worse than a puncture on a cold, dark, wet morning.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Your insurance will be more than your bike , I wouldn’t bother buying another bike , ride with what you have and see if your going to do it every day , unless you have had your license revoked , then buy anything you want personally, when I did commute to work I drove in on one day and put what I needed cloths wise in my locker so I didn’t need to carry anything , and rode any bike I felt like 

Jan,

How you commute by bike can be greatly influenced by the work environment and what you do for a living. Rolling up to a building site a tad sweaty is a million miles away from loitering in a pool of sweat in a plush office in nasal range of your colleagues. Shower facilities - brill; if not I'd recommend Life Adventure dry wash - liquid soap the evaporates with use. It works, end of.  

For the commute 

A small a back pack as you can get away with is my preference. I'm lucky enough to be able to leave work attire (suit and shoes) in the office (office move means I now have a locker and a shower!!). So shirt/top, socks and smalls folded neatly and in seal-able plastic bags (keeps clothes dry) and into back pack with usual gubbins. A 6 mile commute won't see them crumpled. Panniers scare me. I've seen riders with what would appear to be half their wardrobe in a huge pannier on the right side of the frame. just waiting to get clipped on a close pass. No thanks. 

additional comments should be read in the style of Baz Luhrmann, 

Ride just left of centre and don't give an inch unless completely necessary. Don't ride in the gutter, that's where drain covers live. The next place after that is the kerb. 

Assume you'll not been seen by  drivers,  even if you're lit up like a Christmas tree!!

Don't filter thru traffic unless you're on a red light. It's easier just to sit behind the car in front, the driver behind you will squeezing your space if you let him. 

Ride your bike like you'd drive your car in town but don't wear headphones, your ears are like a second pair of eyes. 

Assume pedestrians are car drivers who have lost their vehicles, the rules of the road don't apply here either.

Use the bus lane to the full.

Wear lycra, everyone will hate you, but you will arrive in comfort and not overheat. Eat breakfast at work, a ride in on empty will do you good

Choose good tyres.

• Committee

Hi Jann, 

The more convenient you make it for yourself, the more you will ride. If you have a rubbish, busy  route with nowhere to change and nowhere safe to leave your bike then I wouldn’t bother.

Are you coming down the track? If you have the money, need to wear smart clothes and can’t change then I would consider an ebike cos the ride to the top of the port is really tiring after a day at work. If I do a long day then the ride to Kilmacolm may only be 100m climb but really tedious at 7pm when you just want to get home. I think the extra 50m height  to the top of the Port would kill me!

it would be great to hide bike at work rather than leaving it exposed to neds and weather. Can you chat up the janitor/manager/cleaner at work to find some room?

if you’re mainly on the track but might take a train for work or fun then Brompton is ok for 6 miles  on smooth surfaces and an eBrompton would be luxury, coming out this year!

If you can wear casual clothes then 5-6 miles effectively downhill is very doable in jeans so any bike would do. You could take it easy on the return.  Mudguards almost essential to keep you dry. Rain is clean but spray is filthy. I think rack and panniers great, I doubt my small panniers stick out more than my knees. I find  rucksacks sweaty.

if you go for a normal bike then go drop-bar and not flat bar which is far less efficient. Cheapo cross bike with guard and rack mounts would be perfect. (If you can’t afford the £4K Trek ebike)

suggest you post a map of your route for even more opinion!