Can someone explain the Arran challenge?

stevie

59 minutes ago, P McDonald said:

Stevie, I will surely meet you soon, maybe tonight at chaingang. Then you can hear all about this incredible, unique, inspiring, motivational, enriching and life enhancing challange.

I think that’s meant to sound inspiring and reassuring...

... just sounds ominous really! :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

ok Stevie

It is 56 miles around arran. The classic challenge is the single loop between to 0700 ferry and the return at 1105. effective time once you get off ferry and get back on in time is 2h45m which means an average just over 20mph for the 56 miles. It is challenging as the roads are twisting turning up and down which means lots of braking and hits the average. Approx 20 people are in the hall of fame for the single. Once you do that which I think you definetly could do, there are  4 other halls of fame.

1) The 56+50 which is one single plus a second loop with a minor short cut, this between 2 ferries (5 in this Hall of fame)

2) The solo single (3 have done this)

3) The new kid on the block, the winter single which must be on winter bike and winter ferry timetable (4 people attempted this winter but no one done it yet)

4) The mythical and immortal DA, the Double Arran, 112 miles at average 20mph (2 in this Hall with lots of help from super domestiques). You should definetly set your sights on this as it will truly change your life. It will also cripple you for a week :)

am I selling it Ohyadancer!

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a weekend on Arran in campervan. Wouldn't cycle at the moment. Except for the sea level roads on west coast the roads are diabolical. The bit around the velo cafe is a mess. Spoke with the tearoom owner at Sannox who says people are commenting on abuse of their cars by potholes. Local paper reports organised cycle events likely to be discouraged. Sorry Paul but I would give the DA a miss until roads are fixed. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 29/03/2018 at 10:05 PM, P McDonald said:

ok Stevie

It is 56 miles around arran. The classic challenge is the single loop between to 0700 ferry and the return at 1105. effective time once you get off ferry and get back on in time is 2h45m which means an average just over 20mph for the 56 miles. It is challenging as the roads are twisting turning up and down which means lots of braking and hits the average. Approx 20 people are in the hall of fame for the single. Once you do that which I think you definetly could do, there are  4 other halls of fame.

1) The 56+50 which is one single plus a second loop with a minor short cut, this between 2 ferries (5 in this Hall of fame)

2) The solo single (3 have done this)

3) The new kid on the block, the winter single which must be on winter bike and winter ferry timetable (4 people attempted this winter but no one done it yet)

4) The mythical and immortal DA, the Double Arran, 112 miles at average 20mph (2 in this Hall with lots of help from super domestiques). You should definetly set your sights on this as it will truly change your life. It will also cripple you for a week :)

am I selling it Ohyadancer!

Does the single Arran only apply to the 7am and the 11:05 ferry?

Just asking as there is a special timetable running at the moment.

Single loop is on my to do list, planning to do it leisurely, stop for lunch etc.

• Committee

Single should really be 7am ferry. It arrives at 0755ish but the Calmac guys often let the cars off first so bikes sometimes don't hit tarmac until 0805 to give spicy  race round to board by 1050 or so.

Big advantage of back in Ardrossan by 12, home by 1230. Rest of day to sleep/garden/visit the inlaws etc.

Your leisurely ride with lunch is actually a much better idea.