PARIS ROUBAIX THREAD

• 2023 Subscriptions

Starting a separate Paris Roubaix thread for Paul L and Davy B and anyone else who might be up for it. I was planning to go by train as it makes it very easy with bike and its the quickest way to get there. What do you think of the 2 options below,

1. Thursday 5th April. 1140 depart Glasgow. 7h 46 m journey time. Arrive 8.30pm. Acclimatisation ride Friday. PR sportive Saturday, pro race Sunday. Return Monday 9.30am back in Glasgow 4pm.

2. Exact same but go on Friday instead of Thursday if days off work are limited.

To go and view the PR pro race on Sunday will mean either a 20 mile bike ride down to Arenberg forest or hire car for day or get taxi. Might be a bus or train to nearby and then a walk with perhaps a good old fashioned carry out to keep us going ! We'll work out something. 

If we agree a day then I'm going to get booked.

cheers

• Life Members

Nice one Paul! Hello,beer!!

Just a suggestion, the fact you have 3 bodies going, would it not be cheaper/more flexible if you take the car & go via Hull - Zeebrugger - Lille? Just like we did a few years back.

But then I suppose you will have to start the journey on Thursday morning & be making your way back to Zeebrugger on the return leg late Sunday afternoon, less time to watch the race!

Regardless of which means you travel, I will see you guys in Lille anyway - I cannae wait Ohyadancer!

Cheers

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions

Paul I'm good with the Thursday dates, the 9.30 train back might be a bit close with the Eurostar? But im sure you have looked at this, it says you need to ring up to book bike on, are you happy to book the journey and i can transfer the cash straight away? it would be good if we all managed to get on same trains/eurostar. let me know cheers :)

I also dont mind Chungs idea for ferry, but I dont think DavieB wants to take the ferry

I'm relatively easy with any of the days - if pushed I would go for traveling out on the Friday to save another holiday for later in the year but realise this may not fit in with general logistics.

Paul regards the ferry, after Flanders I swore never again but don't rule it out on my part. Just need to drink more during the trip to ensure I get at least some sleep and avoid sitting next to people coughing their lungs up.

I think finding the best fit solution logistically - which will also include flexibility when we are over in France and ease of transit/managing bikes - is key. This may point to car & ferry as actually the best option?

As for accommodation/watching the race was wondering about Roubaix itself ? Don't know what the atmosphere/big screen experience is like in the Velodrome on the day.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Cheers, hAD a look at ferry option. On the plus side would be about £75 per head less if all in one car etc. On the down side it means leaving before the end of the pro race to catch the ferry same as when we did Flanders. 

I'm thinking if we are going to watch the pro race we might as well see the end so I would vote train. It's final vote time chaps !

Would definetly be up for the velodrome experience. Happy to try and book all 3 if you want,

:)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Just an upDAte in case anyone else interested. DAvie, Paul and I are going on the 2pm flight FriDAy 6th April from Edinburgh to Brussels. Retruning MonDAy afternoon 9th April. Doing the sportive on SaturDAy and watching how it should be done on SunDAy  somewhere near or inside the Roubaix velodrome on a big screen.

Meeting up with Chung at hotel on FriDAy night to make 4 x JWCC.

Ohyadancer!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Life Members
52 minutes ago, PaulL said:

I'm having some delays in getting my Passport renewed... The Brexit effect lol going to be touch and go for me now :smash

Oh no ...... Paul!

No worries, remember Gavin, police car chase etc. ............. just wing it :-) ..................... I thought a BC membership card can get you through anything :-)

I do hope you get it sorted soon Paul!

Cheers

• 2023 Subscriptions

After countless phone calls and emails to the Irish Passport Office & Consulate in Edinburgh I revived a call today that my passport has been printed and ready for collection tomorrow! Yes"  But in Dublin :( it's going to be a close one as most airlines wont let you travel without Passport. Wish me luck,  if not Roubiax I will have a weekend of carb loading in Dublin :)