Looking to join and race next season

Rachid

Hi there, I am hoping to join the club and have a go at racing next season and also try some TT's. I've been out on one club run with Jan and Alan a few months ago, but finding it hard to get out at the moment due to the poor conditions. Any info on joining the club, training, planning for the race season will be much appreciated.  

• Members

Hi, Rachid.

Details of current membership fees and how to pay can be found here: http://www.johnstone-wheelers.co.uk/thebunch/index.php?/topic/9713-jwcc-membership-2017-2018/

Try to get out with the bunch when the weather improves and it'll be the best 30 quid you ever spent!

Hope to see you out on the road sometime.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Race season kicks off late March / early April. Some of the best races to start off with are APRs which are handicapped so as a new racer / 4th cat you'll start in a group with a head start over higher cat riders. I'm not sure of dates next year but there are usually a couple of early season APRs that are fairly local - Fenwick, which goes up the A77 to Malletheugh then the back road to Stewarton, over the Clunch road and back up the A77. And the Lake APR which goes around the Lake of Mentieth.  The downside of these races is they are both very early season, the summer chaingangs and training groups only start up around the same time too so it can be hard to predict race fitness - some guys will be flying early season, whereas some will take a few months to find their legs again.

To race British Cycing events you need to be a member and also have a race licence -most racers will have a silver membership and race licence. A gold has some extra benefits but its more expensive and not IMO worth it. The cheapest way to race is  on a bronze membership and with a provisional licence...however racing with a a provisional will mean you wont get any points.

• 2023 Subscriptions

If you're interested in Time Trialing, a good place to start is with our confined events. That will give you a better understanding of what's involved before you start doing open TTs. 

I'll be putting the calendar up early in the New Year, but the first confined event is normally the restricted gear 10.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions
39 minutes ago, Rachid said:

Thanks guys, I've went for it - paid my membership fees and got a silver race license.  Will keep an eye out for upcoming events and rides.

good to hear :)

the Lake APR is open for entry now, a few of us are doing it https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/168211/Glasgow-Nightingale-Lake-of-Menteith-APR