Audax 2018

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hows about this one? 

The Hot Trod

400km cycling event starting from Kirkley Cycles, Ponteland. Controls at Hawick, Lockerbie, Peebles and Cornhill-on-Tweed, plus 1 information control.

A popular event in 2017 Route thorough Northumberland and Scottish borders. Cornhill on Tweed hall night-time control at 290Km for sleep and food. Ideal first 400K route. Link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12670017

for400km.png
Distance:
400 km   in 27h00
Date:
Saturday 2nd June 2018
Time:
09:00   to finish by + 12:00
Starting from:
Kirkley Cycles , Ponteland
Fee:
£15.00   ( paypal_mark_37x23.gif )
Closing date:
26 May 2018

• 2023 Subscriptions
20 minutes ago, DavieB said:

Will I get youse at Musselburgh at 06:00 on Saturday?

Apart from about 15 layers of clothing and tools and spare is there anything in particular Audaxy I should bring?

Lights... and a woolie jumper

• 2023 Subscriptions

Your not Joking Darryl! It was a long day starting at 6am we set of a reasonable pace and just kept going, we had planned to stop every 40miles for food but we had our first stop at 130km and were one of the first to arrive at the Impromptu Café in Elsdon as everyone else had sensible stopped for a fry up. We were really hungry so we opted for cheese toasties and beans and apple pie and cream from a limited menu and set of another hillI. We did take many a wrong turn but it wasnt to bad!  Davie & David who were both very strong and the did some great super domestique duties as I began to struggle and pretty much got me round the rest of route, Never ridden a route with no flat bits at all you either up or down. David & I had opted to leave our lights at car(yeah I know)... don't even ask! and as we started the last climb Redstane Rig which is a right arse of a climb, it was now dark and the hour long descent into musselburgh with only one light in total darkness was both one of the stupidest things i've done but also kind of excellerating(I can see Red bull taking it up), with thanks to Davie B we made it down and after some faffing about trying to get to the station we finally were awarded by organiser with a steak pie and a can of coke! Great but tough route and excellent organisation, we met lots of crazy cyclists who can only do these Audaxs for the love of cycling as there are no other awards. Cheers to Davie and David for wheels and putting up with endless descriptions about inability to digest food on a bike. 320km done not sure I have the inclination to ride a 400k or it could be my stomach talking.

Lessons

1. Leave your lights on your bike 2. Stop and eat 3. Stop and Eat 4. make sure you not just relying on 1 garmin for directions 5. Eat real food 

20180428_074907.thumb.jpg.a9f7486a26bedf0cbb045386f00ebc82.jpg20180428_121140.thumb.jpg.3ce75aa96310431aeab95ba5c5226ad3.jpg20180428_120203.thumb.jpg.848e4d6643c8eff1e4c702ca0e536dbb.jpg

Good write up by Paul and have to say it was a cracking day on the bike through great countryside and with good company. As Paul mentioned there were a few mishaps along the way with the biggest being the eating part, mainly existed on garbage and E numbers and we must be the 3 biggest numpties of the audax given that we rode through Alynwick and loads of eateries whilst all starving and had to endure lasagne-gate at Coldstream. For whatever reason I felt pretty fresh at the end but suspect this was to do with quite a favourable wind and not just the one emitting from Paul. All told I reckon I could do a 400 but less sure of my willingness just the riding through the night part seems a bit ......daft, but that said I would probably allow myself to get talked into it.

To add to Pauls list of lessons. After a rubbish nights sleep, chilling out with a bottle of beer when I got home rather than going to bed wired would probably have been a help. Up early today and got loads done in the garden but I will crash and burn soon.....

• 2023 Subscriptions
1 hour ago, Alan McLean said:

Looks like a great day out. where is the nice bike cafe?

What's the limit/strategy for safely driving somewhere, riding 400km, and driving home? Do people get trains/hotels or just wing it?

Who would dare fall asleep in a car that contains Paul Leavy?

• 1 month later...