Winter Bogs

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Rapid squADra of 9 to Largs toDAy, then 11 after we met Jim and Lynsey. The dreADed drag did its DAsterdly work and turned me into jelly. Rode back with Richie and Stephen Malaney who suffered a similar fate. That BarrheAD road is a grim place when you've blown a gasket !

That must be a record amount of DA and AD's in such a few amount of words :)

Good ride today with Robbie, Paul and Cedric from JWCC. Didnt feel the best last night with what felt like a start of a cold. So decided to join the bunch to Largs and then back via Haylie . Once we got through & off going with the adrenaline kicking in I was feeling ok and did my turns. It was hard going with a couple of strong guys pulling through. 5 or so miles before Largs I was still feeling good so thought I would better empty the tank since I'm cutting it short...so on the front head down I cracked on sharing some good VO2 max turns. It was hard but good fun and before I knew it we were at Largs with my legs feeling like jelly. Said farewell to the guys and off I went soft pedalling back. 

Thanks for the workout, it was worth it after all...on to next week :grin:

• 2023 Subscriptions

I can confirm Galeb was motor pacing up the coast, the chew marks on my stem are evidence ! Alan MacLean also joined us for a while to make it 5 from JWCC in a bunch of 8. David Griffiths, Ross Clark and Sarah Walker,  all strong riders made for a right good grind. I left my house in rain, realised I had a soft tyre within a mile, returned home to fix it. By time I left again it had stopped raining so that was a good omen. Only issue was I mADe quite an effort to get to Bishy Hill to catch the bunch and paid for it later. Jim and Lynsey joined in Largs to ADd firepower. Coke and Mars bars helped rejuvenate the spirits which was just as well as some heavy rain at Ardrossan.

The HC drag at Kilwinning claimed its usual quota of victims. I reckon I got pumped within about 2 inches of where I got pumped last week. Robbie and I then hAD a pretty pleasant ride back via ADmiralty circuit.

• Committee

First proper ride for 6 weeks. The steady winter training run has been hijacked by very fit mentalists. I hung on for gd and turned left at inverkip instead of more torture down the coast. 

Well done for cracking on. 

Anyway NO rain, arrived home totally dry! MacDonald’s weather bubble worked again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Screamer. Picture postcard day to be round the coast. It was a bit cold if you were in the picture mind you. 10 of us rolled a high and smooth tempo to Largs. Young team were out and some calming words required as we set off at Tuesday night pace and I was dipping into the red before Bishy. It felt hard, I think it must have been as we were at Largs for 11.35 which is about the earliest I can remember. Continued on in same vein and bodies like me started to sit back from Ardrossan due to gubbedness. 4 of us got pumped on the lower slopes of the Kilimanjaro drag. It was a scenic but sore ride home in the afternoon sunshine from the foot of Kilimanjaro. 

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Sunday bogs bunch today masquerading as the Saturday bunch. It was more pronto than piano. Galeb and I there from JWCC on what felt like a summers day after the winter we've had.  Galeb turned off at Ardrossan due to time constraints. I actually got over Kilimanjaro drag, ahem, might have been due to puncture victim half way up so we stopped !

Got as far as Paraffin Lamp then turned off to Lochwinnoch. Some winter bogs are sore. Some are very sore. By Lugton today I can only describe it as DOMS without the D

Ohyadancer!