Santacross, Mullorca 9-10 Dec 2017

Alan McLean

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well done to Paul and other assorted amigos who made it up to the castle for the SantaCross. My car made it by the skin of the teeth up the wee hill from the sea front in Tobermory which gave my my 1st sense that I may not make it. That was reinforced by 2 other cars stopped at the roundabout who basically said the road was a no go - he did also have a plug for winter tyres. A couple then passed who said they were going to go for a walk up the road but would not chance the car.

Decision made and I headed along the coast and got the 11 o'clock ferry - the views on a crisp, bright day to the snowy vistas all around were certainly a sight so not a completely wasted morning, drove back home in time for 3 o'clock coffee and unpacked in daylight.

Have spent the last hour coughing up gunk so maybe it was good fate as think I may be coming down with something. Hope it passes quick as training for Strathclyde Park showdown starts NOW!

• Committee

Team JWCC upheld the honour of the club to battle through ice and snow to the Castle on the Friday night. Completely by coincidence  I had booked the holiday flat directly above the sign on and 200m from the start. A slight thaw meant that we were joined early sat by duncan and Jamie Thomson in the youths and Davie and Paul in the v40s. Action on Sat was on thawing ground and a complete mudfest. Fabulous views of wintery squalls down the sound of Mull. 

Big freeze on Saturday night made the morning journey from Tobermory for Santacross  very sketchy but worth it for brilliant razor cut scenery in winter sunshine. Ground was frozen hard and provided fast riding. Bonkers costumes, music and sherry hand ups completed the picture. Crawled back over sheet ice in a big convoy to Tobermory and home. Pics to follow.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Fantastic weekend, with great support and heckling from all the wheelers/jets . Well done to Jet Jamie on his 3rd place! Series race was very muddy but highlight was taking myself and my Club mate(sorry Davie) out... flying over the bars... This may put me back in the running for the Hamoc award Ohyadancer! The Santacross race was great fun as I managed to get gridded(gridding was based on costumes and my Snowman element put me in the front row... I decided to go full Gas until I popped and managed to get a gap on both the V40s and Seniors until I popped spectacularly after about 600 meteres(some people say it was only about 300 metres but i'm not listening to that nonsense) . The next 50mins was torture with my extra legs getting caught in my wheels but a real good laugh.  Best event of the year!