LAPIERRE SCX3 - FIFE COLLEGE, DUNFERMLINE Sunday, October 22, 2017

PaulL

Hope your feeling better Paul.

If it's any consolation it was probably a good choice if you were going to miss one. Mud everywhere and the usual long running section. I was pretty much nowhere from the off having a poor grid position and no legs. This lack of ability was compounded by figuring out the reason it felt like I was riding the first couple of laps with the brakes on (and selectomatic rear mech) was the rear wheel was misaligned to the extent it was rubbing against the frame, a result of last minute faffing to try and cure some minor brake rub. Now I see the reason for thru' axles!

After the finish I figured out why it felt like I was riding with brakes on for the last couple of laps - everything was clogged with mud. I actually had a spare bike in the pits and if I had been a bit smarter I would have changed half way thru'. Focussing on the positive at least my new SRAM Red shifter seems to have survived it's first outing (and impact).

Didn't see much of the V50's but Alan certainly seemed to be going quite strong through the mud flats.

Hung around to watch some of the seniors - the difference in speed between Gary McDonald and co in the top 3 v's the rest is silly.

• Committee

Mike,Martin and I flew the flag in the v50s. Excellent mudfest, quicker to run than ride on one of the flatter sections. Grifos held up well on the off camber.

Sorry I could not wait to watch Davie's brake problem.

The fields continue to increase in size, the organisers made a late decision to split the W/V50s and J groups otherwise there would have been about 200 of us!

Start position/gridding is becoming really important, if you start even 20 places back then the leaders are waaaayyyy past the first turn before you get there.