Winter/Gravel/Cross Bike wanted

I am currently in the market for a winter/gravel/cross bike.

Ideally, I would be looking for something in the region of 51/2cm. 12mm through axle and disc. Would also be interested in 1x.

Something I can run road wheels on in the winter but put bike tyres on and smash about the fire roads in the summer

Something like the on one Bish bash bosh would be perfect.

This might be a bit niche set of requirements though.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I got a disc gravel bike a couple of years ago as a winter bike, and have used it as you plan to: road tyres and mudguards in the winter, and the supplied CX style tyres in the summer for off road.

I've been really pleased with it in both roles, I got it as a previous years model on a Black Friday deal from Evans, so it was close to second hand prices, but without the wear and tear.  If you can wait a couple of months there should be some deals coming along on 2017 models as the 2018 ones arrive in the shops.

The 650b tyre (clearance?) seems to be a feature on these bikes. 

Only tuppence worth I would say is go for hydraulic disks they are night and day compared to even the best (TRP Spyre) cable pull brakes. Alos a lot of these "gravel" bikes being marketed with 1x drivetrains I would have thought for an all round bike which is going to spend time on the road you would want a double.

Not a huge fan of their customer service and practice of hawking redundant brand names as if they are still dripping in Italian/British heritage but Planet X is probably worth a look - any bike called the Space Chicken has to have something going for it.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I've got a loan of the Friston over the weekend to see how it goes. The 1X system as its set up might be a bit spiny for the road but I'll give it a bash.

I was using 42 x 42 at weekend and was enough for flats(no sprinting) but could have used a 36x42 on the hills, but that would have been to spiny on the flats. You should come out to Calander park at on Sunday and give it a few laps :)