Ross Robertson and I are heading out to  hopefully a sunny Puerto Pollensa on the 25th of April for a week (my third year and Ross's first) and have both signed up for the 312 sportive. We are aiming to complete the 225km route, as the 312 would curtail the beers afterwards.

Looking for any advice from those that have done the sportive before, thoughts and things to look out for.

We are both really looking forward to it and plan to wear the club kit.

cheers

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on the Mallorca 312.

On Saturday the 29th of April the Mallorca 312 sportive took place. There were three distances, 312 km, 225 km and 167 kms.  Both Ross Robertson and I planned to do the 225 and got to the start line at 0635, 8 miles from Puerta Pollensa(our base) to Alcudia.

Once the sun had come up it was a good day, but there was a cold wind which stayed with us for the week we were in Mallorca.

Miguel Indurain and Steven Roche were amongst the front line starters.

And so 15 mins after the hooter sounding we crossed the start line and headed off back to Puerta Pollensa, before starting our day of climbing.

In summary:- 4 feed stations all well maintained with volunteers, water, fruit, sandwiches,- 225 kms, 3630m of climbing, average speed 23 km/h, 9:38 moving time and 6500 starters.

This is a well organised sportive, with entrants from all over the world. We paid about 80 euros to enter and received a musette with 312 jersey and other goodies. There was good medical cover which seemed to be in constant use and photographers everywhere to capture the moment .

Ross and I finished without any mishaps and pedalled back to our hotel for a beer or two having been proud to have worn the Wheelers jersey for the event.

Would I recommend it- absolutely. Although how you incorporate it into a week in Mallorca is a difficult one as you have to be clear on what you can do before it and what you then can do after.

Not a fan of "our sportive is harder than yours" eg Fred Whitton chat, however it was tough and I would recommend anyone to try it next year.

Not sure how to post pictures, but if someone can advise I am more than happy to post a couple for your enjoyment.

If anyone wants more info, next years event is on the 28th of April and happy to speak more about our experience.