Charlie

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Guys

Massive thanks for your kind messages and to those of u who visited me in hospital. Don't think I was great company but your kindness and support really touched me especially at a time when I was feeling quite melancholic.Not got much recollection of crash. Remember a young fella nearly taking me out about 3 laps earlier then remember being in 3 rd last lap as had made decision to go for sprint with 2 to go. Unfortunately crashed on bend of 3rd last lap.Had no idea what caused crash. Remember guy telling me I had been out cold for 90 secs. In ambulance another rider involved in crash told me that he and another fella touched wheels and came down. I presume they took me down but if any one heard anything different please let me know. Also are the other riders ok.

I sustained a left neck femur fracture left rib fractures a head injury and a few bruises.The consultant told me that femur op went well but unfortunately chest X Ray today

Showed a very small left pleural effusion so my recovery may be longer than I first thought.

This has been my 3rd serious bike crash in as many years so time for me to pause & reflect. My wife is already trying to invoke 3 strikes and you are out rule. I have already conceded track cycling but jury still out for the road but as Prof Gunson recovered from a far more serious crash than mine feel it would be rude not to keep him company for the first part of a run at least.

Once again many thanks for your remarkable support

Charlie

Glad to hear you're home Charlie. All the best for a speedy recovery. Not being the most medically minded person I've had to google the terminology describing your injuries. I wish I hadn't. I much preferred the strained groin version!

Any lawyer worth his salt will find a loophole in the 3 strikes rule. Look forward to a recuperative moretti in Amarone soon.

Best wishes.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I know it's not in your nature to do things by half Charlie, but like big Alan says there's still plenty of fun to be had on the bike without the risk that racing brings... Hope you're feeling a bit better today, and look forward to seeing you back out on the bike as soon as... Should be fit just in time for summer :) 

• 2024 Subscriptions

I'm sure you'll be on the bike soon Charlie, but understand from my own experience that these incidents force us to take stock. Why not join us for the North Coast 500 this August? As others have said, there's much more to cycling than racing, although I imagine there will be kudos for the first to the hostel on each 'stage' :)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Charlie

I am just catching up with all this. Speedy recovery!

Track is, IMHO, much riskier than road. Therefore I reluctantly sold my track bike. (That was two strikes)

Recent faux pas counts as three but then where is the fun in gardening??

Get well soon and I'll see you on the road.