Welcome to The Bunch v2.0
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Charlie

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

P McDonald

P McDonald

Switching to the Big Ring

• Members
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationLochwinnoch
Anyone know if he got home from hospital over weekend
DA Vets - more members sought for ultra exclusive Club

chung

chung

• Members
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationNewton Mearns

Paul,

Alan McBride & myself paid him a visit on Friday lunch time, he was very chatty & in good spirit. He said he should be out by Monday or Tuesday & hopefully be BACK to work on Wednesday. :shock: Not sure if he was serious or it was the morphine :grin:

Hope that helps!

Cheers

• charlie p likes this

Richie Cross

Richie Cross

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationDunlop
Hi. I went to see him when I left the clubrooms this afternoon.
By the time I found Ward 61, he was just getting the good news to be allowed home :)
  • gregbalden and charlie p like this

charlie p

charlie p

• Members
  • 2,779 posts
Guys
Massive thanks for your kind messages and to those of u who visited me in hospital. Don't think I was great company but your kindness and support really touched me especially at a time when I was feeling quite melancholic.Not got much recollection of crash. Remember a young fella nearly taking me out about 3 laps earlier then remember being in 3 rd last lap as had made decision to go for sprint with 2 to go. Unfortunately crashed on bend of 3rd last lap.Had no idea what caused crash. Remember guy telling me I had been out cold for 90 secs. In ambulance another rider involved in crash told me that he and another fella touched wheels and came down. I presume they took me down but if any one heard anything different please let me know. Also are the other riders ok.
I sustained a left neck femur fracture left rib fractures a head injury and a few bruises.The consultant told me that femur op went well but unfortunately chest X Ray today
Showed a very small left pleural effusion so my recovery may be longer than I first thought.
This has been my 3rd serious bike crash in as many years so time for me to pause & reflect. My wife is already trying to invoke 3 strikes and you are out rule. I have already conceded track cycling but jury still out for the road but as Prof Gunson recovered from a far more serious crash than mine feel it would be rude not to keep him company for the first part of a run at least.
Once again many thanks for your remarkable support
Charlie
  • Scott D, chung, gregbalden and 13 others like this

alexb

alexb

• Committee
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationHouston
Glad to hear you're home Charlie. All the best for a speedy recovery. Not being the most medically minded person I've had to google the terminology describing your injuries. I wish I hadn't. I much preferred the strained groin version!

Any lawyer worth his salt will find a loophole in the 3 strikes rule. Look forward to a recuperative moretti in Amarone soon.

Best wishes.
  • charlie p likes this

al yuille

al yuille

• Members
  • 638 posts

We can't lose you Charlie - may be time to set up that Gentlemen's touring section that the prof is always talking about. Plenty of time to recuperate before the North Coast 500.

Slow(er) is the new fast. 

Speedy recovery.

• Darryl Gunson and charlie p like this

The man-the myth-The Bison

The man-the myth-The Bison

The Invisible Bison

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
charlie,

MTFU & buy a blingy new bike.

Seriously tho, we would all miss you if you were to chuck it, none more-so than me as you are the nearest to me on the fat index.
  • charlie p and PaulL like this

Alan Michael

Alan Michael

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationPaisley
Amazing club runs, Renfrew bunch, sewing bee and chain gang...plenty of fun stuff to do on the bike without killing yourself in the ruff and tumble of road racing or track league, so Head up and speedy recovery, you'll be back out on the bike in no time. ;)
  • Darryl Gunson, ginty001, charlie p and 3 others like this

James

James

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationBridge of Weir

Charlie, Not much more to say from the comments made by big Alan and the rest of the troops. Hope you come to your senses and keep cycling. Wish you a speedy recovery.

• charlie p likes this

ginty001

ginty001

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • Locationbishopton

I know it's not in your nature to do things by half Charlie, but like big Alan says there's still plenty of fun to be had on the bike without the risk that racing brings... Hope you're feeling a bit better today, and look forward to seeing you back out on the bike as soon as... Should be fit just in time for summer :) 

• charlie p likes this

alexb

alexb

• Committee
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationHouston
How about this Charlie? Much more sedate and safe.

Attached Files

• ginty001, charlie p, Richie Cross and 2 others like this

San Miguel Injury

San Miguel Injury

Second Cleat Goes In

• Members
  • 104 posts

Charlie, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

there is always room for you in the intermediate/intermediates. Sportives, enjoyable no eyeballs out pedalling trips to Majorca and enjoying cycling

all the best

Alan McMillan

• charlie p likes this

Moi

Moi

• Members
  • 1,477 posts
Plenty of racing left in you yet , would give the last 4 weeks of TL a miss,
At least you have an excuse when I destroy you on the Alp
  • charlie p and The man-the myth-The Bison like this
The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

Scott D

Scott D

• Members
  • 440 posts

Sorry to hear about your crash Charlie. Best wishes for your recovery.

• charlie p likes this
Road racing is 90% physical. The rest is mental !!

Iain67

Iain67

• Members
  • 801 posts
  • LocationErskine

Speedy recovery Charlie and sure you'll reconsider once your better. It's either that or one of these to go with your socks and sandals....

Cheers pal

$_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007

• charlie p likes this

Richie Cross

Richie Cross

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationDunlop

Plenty of racing left in you yet , would give the last 4 weeks of TL a miss,
At least you have an excuse when I destroy you on the Alp

Charlie...you can keep me and Greg company and I can resurrect my domestique pacing duties of old :)

Billy will be too busy battling with Le Bison!!
  • gregbalden and charlie p like this

Alan Fox

Alan Fox

• Members
  • 472 posts
  • LocationErskine
Audax invitation still stands....get well soon mate.....
  • charlie p likes this

AlanT

AlanT

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  • LocationOff the back somewhere, possibly in the postcode area you just left
Really glad to hear you're on the mend.

You could take up time trialling to feed the competitive urge...
  • charlie p likes this
I only struggle on the uphill bits. And the flat bits. I'm not good into a headwind either. And downhills are scary. Other than that, I'm fine.

Darryl Gunson

Darryl Gunson

• Members
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationElderslie
I'm sure you'll be on the bike soon Charlie, but understand from my own experience that these incidents force us to take stock. Why not join us for the North Coast 500 this August? As others have said, there's much more to cycling than racing, although I imagine there will be kudos for the first to the hostel on each 'stage' :)
  • charlie p likes this

PaulL

PaulL

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Now

In Twelve weeks ;)

• Darryl Gunson, Alan Michael and robster82 like this

Res Firma Mitescere Nescit 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users