Brake blocks

Gerard Deeley

• 2023 Subscriptions

Just fitted new brake blocks, they will work fine. But the toe-in is more on one than the other and it gives the brakes a spongier feel rather than that nice firm grab I like. Gravity has a big effect on my bulk, so I need the best I can get from my brakes so I do not get too scared. Any tips and suggestions?

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'm sure other members have better ways, but the way I do this is to squeeze the brake lever to hold the pads onto the rim in the right position before tightening the bolt holding the pad onto the calliper. That way the surface of the brake pad is parallel to the rim's braking surface and as the pad wears it can be adjusted using the same technique to keep the pads aligned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Committee

Hi Gerard

Set up blocks on the rim with a piece of cardboard jammed at the back of the block to give about 1mm of spacing at the rear. then both blocks should have equal toe in.

It is easier if you have the shoes which are supplied with domed nuts and washers that allow for angulation.

You say you've fitted blocks which suggests you might have a one piece shoe/block in which the whole lot is bolted on and discarded when worn. With the exception of an Ultegra style version these tend to be the cheaper blocks which have a nastier feel. What is make? If cheapo then you might prefer buying separate shoes/carriers and nicer pads for around £15/set. When worn the pads can be slid out and replaced for a fiver. Unless they jam.

I would explain further but need to get out more.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks Alan

I did buy Shimano one piece blocks, so next time I will source the better ones. I do the cardboard thing as I hate squealing brakes. My brakes do work and with this dry weather I have no issues, I just always have a feeling that when I do set them up it can always be done better (there is a lot of me to bring to a stop). I perhaps just need the reassurance that I have done everything possible to get the best performance from my brakes.

• Committee

One piece shimano are ok but some pads/rim combos never feel right.

"spongy" is a bit odd, might just be setup, do both pads hit the rim at the exact same time? The rim should not move sideways at all when pads hit, if it does then the pads need centred.

"Gravity has a big effect on my bulk" Nonsense,  you are half the man you were and I'm sure a little piece of soft plastic on greasy alloy will still bring you safely to halt!