Irvine 6th Dec 2015 the National Championships.

Alan McLean

• Committee

Me. Who else?

This is a nice day out from the clubrooms. There will be racing from about 9-2 so you will certainly see some pain especially in the famous 200m sand trap which is the undoubtedly the Hardest Thing to Ride on a Bike in Scotland. Great quiet route down the track to Glengarnock then N7 takes you on minor roads all the way there, if you don't get lost in Kilwinning.

• Committee

Good news. The organisers have promised even more sand riding plus the super long run up the Dune of Misery which is a pretty horrible 30 degree 50 metre knoll. See you Sunday.

PS the final sting is that the salt starts attacking the bike from the warm-up. Last time I threw the wet bike in the garage and the entire drivetrain was orange with rust by the following day.

• Committee

Busy, busy, busy today at Irvine. Car park rammed with riders and spectators. Highlight was the van with the wood-fired pizza oven, how cool is that? Good sound sytem and organistion from Walkers CC. Unfortunately things went a bit downhill after thatfor me.

The Irvine course is a lovely rolling course over the machair with a some mud, a sand trench, tricky off camber and a big dipper.

Mike joined me in the V50s with Jess Millar in the juniors.  I was about 10th to the first corner then crashed in a corner, was passed by half a dozen riders and then went (more) backwards. The top women passed me which is always a bad sign and then I was lapped about 200m before the finish by one of the cyberjuniors so was the second finisher, a lap down.

Jamie Thomson, Ollie Kelly and Oscar Dickie were in blue and yellow in the U12s. I stayed to watch Paul and Davie smashing it in the V40s before squall of the day sent me home.

The organisers claimed that CX is the most popular cycle racing discpline in Scotland and on the basis of today, with prizes from U8s to V60 women, I am sure they are right. Need to see some more of you there.

It is certainly a flourishing scene and with courses as good as this one - as far removed form a muddy field as you could get - long may it continue.

Alan - I hardly smashed it today and recent progression turned into regression as legs would just not work from the get go - still fun picking a line and going through the sand dunes though :). I think you reversed my narrow victory of a week ago by horsing me for 2 minutes.

Well done all....results...

http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/1226244

• 2023 Subscriptions

That was fun, well done all! I got a good start... but I always seem be on the wheel on people who fall over. Last guy on the off camber I just rode over his wheel(sorry) but I had enough sliding on my A*** . Race prep needs improving hahah, but good time had a Wheeler's Presentation. I got some photos of the Wheelers and Jets  racing I will upload later.