track league is back 7 October

• 2023 Subscriptions

track league is back next week

One of the races will be a longest lap. If i was better at track stands i might have a different opinion but at the moment i'm not particularly enthusiastic about the merits of having a one lap race (assuming i make it as far as the starting gun which is unlikely!) on what is supposed to be a track endurance night.

Price has gone up to £12.50 for adults so quite a steep increase in % terms

• 2023 Subscriptions

So that looks like an extra £2.50 to be stationary on the track. I' m not enthused or excited by it. Even if wasn't taking a couple of weeks off.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I asked Scottish Cycling (via facebook) what the logic was for the longest lap competition, and what the rider demand was for such an event.

They answered:

Many thanks for your comments. Over the past two years, Scottish Cycling has listened to rider feedback and has heard the need for the programme of events to be more varied. As a result of this, a rolling schedule has been created which means the longest lap will not necessarily feature at every National Track League session. Scottish Cycling aims to make the schedule more open for riders from multiple disciplines to feel welcome.
It is hoped that the longest lap will provide a fun and more varied session and with the inclusion of this, riders now get four events during the evening as opposed to the previous three. 
Scottish Cycling is open to feedback from members as we aspire to find a combination of events to satisfy as many riders as possible at National Track League.

Being just a bit stroppy, I've replied:

Interesting. I don't ride track league myself so perhaps I'm not the best person to comment. However I'd like to offer a couple of thoughts. I've been asking around and have found no-one in favour of a longest lap. As this is an endurance programme, why not make the races longer, so that riders have more racing, rather than more races? Secondly, shouldn't track racing just be track racing? Doesn't a move to making it "more welcoming to riders from other disciplines" risk diluting what track is all about in the first place? Or will our downhill MTB chums reciprocate by making their races less steep?

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well I canny do a track stand so not really into the longest lap! It would be fun in the short term ( very short )

Talking to a lot of guys at track league over the last few years I think the consensus is for more laps per race as many are using it for summer endurance fitness ( obviously so they can attempt the Double Arran - sorry that was my most shameless plug yet ). Feeling I get is people are there for best part of 4 hours and want a good workout. 2 years ago there were nights when the B group had 160 laps over 4 races, to be fair the league always overran which was unfair on officials etc. So now there are 3 races with about 100 laps.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I asked Scottish Cycling (via facebook) what the logic was for the longest lap competition, and what the rider demand was for such an event.

They answered:

Many thanks for your comments. Over the past two years, Scottish Cycling has listened to rider feedback and has heard the need for the programme of events to be more varied. As a result of this, a rolling schedule has been created which means the longest lap will not necessarily feature at every National Track League session. Scottish Cycling aims to make the schedule more open for riders from multiple disciplines to feel welcome.

It is hoped that the longest lap will provide a fun and more varied session and with the inclusion of this, riders now get four events during the evening as opposed to the previous three. 

Scottish Cycling is open to feedback from members as we aspire to find a combination of events to satisfy as many riders as possible at National Track League.

Being just a bit stroppy, I've replied:

Interesting. I don't ride track league myself so perhaps I'm not the best person to comment. However I'd like to offer a couple of thoughts. I've been asking around and have found no-one in favour of a longest lap. As this is an endurance programme, why not make the races longer, so that riders have more racing, rather than more races? Secondly, shouldn't track racing just be track racing? Doesn't a move to making it "more welcoming to riders from other disciplines" risk diluting what track is all about in the first place? Or will our downhill MTB chums reciprocate by making their races less steep?

I think what you have said in reply would echo the views of alot of track league regulars (well i agree with it anyway!) I'd happily give up a race to allow the 'saved' time to be added to the remaining races and make them longer.

• 2023 Subscriptions

B for me tonight (which was full, the other groups were a bit quieter). First up a points race, stupidly went hard from the gun and strung it out a bit, thinking i'd be able to get back in reasonably near the front after my spell. I didnt, ended up last rider due to my ineptitude! After that didnt bother going for the first couple of sprints then tried attacking. DIdnt work and suffered for the rest. Next was a scratch, came over the top with about 3 laps to go, died on the final lap but managed to hold on for third. Longest lap...didnt bother doing it. I had intended to do it but missed the start while i was filling my bottles. Honest :D Last was a devil, i wanted my moneys worth so tried to ride it from the front it was pretty hard going but lasted to about 5 or 6 left then my legs went. Overall good to be back and special mention to Adam making the step up to the Bs and doing very well, he has progressed hugely over the last year or so.