Couriers A77 race tonight

P McDonald

Cheers guys, Legs and mind are shattered at the moment and i was touch and go whether I was going to turn up but did. The start felt not to fast and to be honest the race as a hole wasn't eye balls out at any stage, apart from the build up for the sprint which was a bit hairy with rider's all over both sides of the road, managed to get through some of the craziness and get 6th. Alot better than expected after recent form. Well done to jan and Colin also...

• 2023 Subscriptions

Congrats to Alan with his 6th, the weekend party training plan obviously works :D

As for me...well, things started off badly - soon as the neutralised section was over the pace picked up then slowed and had to ride into the verge to avoid someone who locked  up. Chain came off but got it back on pretty fast and made it to the back of the group by the top of the climb - hardest bit of the race! After that felt pretty comfortable and just sat on feeling alright but after getting onto the A77 for the second time i was a bit concerned with my position. When it opened up a bit going past Whitelees i made a stupid move from back to front and ended up leading things with a lone rider out in front, we caught him and i started to get swamped a bit but that was ok as i obviously wasnt wanting to lead it out - got about 4th or 5th wheel and feeling good, however started getting swamped again and was now blocked in and couldnt do much, just tried to be patient and hoped it would open up. Going into the last bit just before the house it was getting chaotic (the guy sitting about 3rd at this point just sat up and stopping riding!) then under the bridge someone accidentally unclipped - there was quite a bump as he veered to the side but fortunately the two involved didnt panic and stayed upright, however had to brake hard and lost all momentum which for this finish is so important. Colin was caught behind this too.

So to sum up 99% of the race was uneventful, got over the hills with the bunch and was looking forward to the sprint because of how fresh i was feeling. However i never ended up sprinting (i think i was 22nd) so it turned into a frustrating night. Frankly i wish i'd gone for a daft attack off the front and got caught and finished last than how it panned out in the end.