Robroy Rumble 2 gJs cruising race

Colin McPhee

Not as interesting as the Chris Froome is he / isn't he nonsense but a wee report anyway. Took the start line on a breezy evening for two laps of the Aberfoyle circuit from Killearn. I had a minor crash the last time on the circuit so I'm afraid it was a case of no daring heroics in the bunch to scrap for a place in the top ten but was just aiming for a bunch finish which I managed. When one of the Glasgow Road Club guys took issue with a bollard in Buchlyvie this reaffirmed my race plan as I had no wish to end up on tarmac. All went to plan after that and was going well. Positioned well where necessary into corners. There were several attacks but mainly solo efforts so they were unlikely to stick. Was very comfortable in the race and didn't feel the need to make any daredevil moves unnescessarily this time round except for the odd visit over the (yes everyone still does it despite BC regulations) white line to move up some places. There was another touch of wheels on the back end of the circuit coming into Aberfoyle and two guys went down. However was glad of the decent stopping power of the c 35's and easily avoided it before plowing on. Hope they were ok. Conditons were bad at this point, some drizzle had given the road a slightly slippery feel so the bunch were sensibly a bit more cautious on the downhill sections. On the fast run in to the roundabout before the left turn to the finish the scrapping for places started and I found myself on the front hoping that I could stay in the top 10 as the roundabout approached but should have waited a bit longer or should have been more fully commited (not literally) in a full on attempt at a solo break as I was swarmed and ended up further back than I would have liked going into the roundabout. When we hit the roundabout the guy whose wheel I was on had unfortunately not read the race manual as he decided to go straight on instead of left. I had to correct my line as a result by which time I was having to make up far too much ground at the bottom of the climb. However I did manage to get across and picked up a few others as I made my way over the finish a few seconds only down. Positioning is everything at these corners but feel I am beginning to read races more intelligently now.