Lapierre SCX Round 1: The Bike Shed Bute CX

PaulL

• 2023 Subscriptions

No longer an independent race... which means a shorter race for some of us \o/ one of the best courses on the calendar, always sunny and a crazy start from the town centre.... great warm up for the APR on the sunday!

Round 1 of the Lapierre Scottish Cyclo Cross Series. Bute CX is held in the grounds of King George's Field, Rothesay, Isle of Bute. A technical course of 3.25km with switchbacks and adverse cambers and some wooded area's. Rothesay is easily accessible by a frequent short ferry with a direct train link from Glasgow.The classic

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/177810/SCX-Round-1:-The-Bike-Shed-Bute-CX

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Committee

I will miss early cx races because reasons but hope to join you all in November for muddy suckfests. Very sorry to miss Bute where the sun always shines.

It used to be a slightly easier niche start to the season but I suspect that full BC status will mean it will attract lots more racers and be really hard. Excellent! Enjoy!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Definitely was a shock to the system. A shorter course than usual taking out some of the more fun/dangerous sections(Thanks BC). David B and myself were grided which means my goal for season is complete and I can take it easy now, but the field was small so David W was just behind us. As usual I had a good start but burnt out pretty quickly, the two Davids pass me pretty soon and looked strong managed to stay close for a bit but i must have had a puncture or some other mechanical issue :icon_mooning. Glad to get the first one out of the way and it should be a fun season! great to see three Wheelers in the race!

almost forgot.. Driving home up over the Whin and the car in front had two cross bikes on roof and one just flew off in the air, for I second I thought it was going through my windshield but it bounced on its wheels and landed in the ditch, looked like it may have survived! wonder who it was? always something :shock: 

Goal was a top thirty finish and trailed home in 31st place on the same time as the 30th place finisher. He crossed me on the line after a last lap where I was riding the technical sections slower to avoid binning it ....still no idea as to where he come from as he was one of 2  riders from Deeside who I had been holding well at bay for the majority of the race. 

With the reduced field probably the best chance of getting a decent result so now back to trying not to get lapped.

Stiil good fun and good to see Paul and Dave in the mix. The 2 eedjits who came to blows on the run-up were another first.....though not as exciting as an airborne cross bike heading towards your windshield.